Monday, September 17, 2012

Good Morning!




This school year, the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board deemed it necessary to kick my son off the bus. He didn`t do anything bad, they`re simply cutting down on the budget and many kids in the district have been told they are no longer eligible to ride to school. At first i thought this was awful, but i`ve discovered something since i`ve been walking him to and from school that has changed me.

I`ve discovered the joy of , `` Good morning.``

It`s wonderful, really. Our walk is not a terribly long one. It takes us 15 minutes to get to school and then i walk back home, another 15. On a typical morning i pass anywhere from three to ten people. Sometimes the good morning is initiated by the passers by, sometimes by myself. Either way, i find it refreshing and invigorating!

Some people will search out my eyes to make contact and call out to me, others, rushing by on their way to catch a bus or get to work keep their heads down but i counter that with an especially sing-songy, ``Goooood  MORRRNIIIING!!`` and a big cheesy grin and it reflects on their faces! I love it!  I love it when dog walkers say it to me. I love it when older gentlemen say it to me, sporting their straw hats and suspenders. I love it when teenagers try to act cool and avoid me but then smile as they walk away after i`ve sung it to them!

There`s no other time of day that a greeting or acknowledgement means so much. Afternoon ``Hi`s`and evening ``Hello`s`` just aren`t the same as a ``Good morning`` full of hope, promise and cheer. It`s the beginning of the day, after all. A fresh start, a clean slate.... why not make it good!

And why not, indeed!
Take the time tomorrow morning, and every morning to wish someone a good morning. It`ll make them feel good and it`ll make you feel good too!

Good morning, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment