Monday, August 27, 2012

Red Swiss Chard Pizza

Ok, I just invented this and after the first bite I knew I had to share the recipe. This time of year there is chard all around and I never know what to do with it. I had bought some gluten free pizza dough mix at the bulk store the other day though and thought it might be a good idea to combine these two things... and guess what? It was delicious! Here's the recipe.


This is the gorgeous red chard and onions before cooking!


As I mentioned, I used a gluten free pizza dough mix but you can use whatever you want for the crust; home made pizza dough, purchased raw dough, frozen dough or a pre-made crust, whatever works for you.

Next I finely chopped a bunch of red swiss chard that I got at the grocery store, I guess I ended up with about 6 cups but only used half for this recipe.

I then chopped one red onion and a few cloves of garlic - probably 3 - I don't remember cuz 1- I'm getting old and 2- I just "feel" recipes when I'm inventing them. So, sorry to all you anal retentives out there but tough - wing it!

So, in a frying pan i put some extra virgin olive oil and added the chard, onions, garlic and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper and some freshly ground dried red chilis. Do this to your taste, I added quite a bit of the chilis cuz we like things spicy around here. I cooked it all til the leaves were nice and wilted but the stems still had a bit of crunch to them.

Once your pizza crust is ready, depending on whether you had to pre-bake it a bit or not, just throw on some grated Havarti cheese, the chard mixture and then some more Havarti on top. If I had owned some feta I would have used that, but Havarti I had so Havarti it was!

Then I just baked it til it looked done, about 10 minutes.

 
 
The taste is spicy yet sweet with a bit of tang from the cheese. I can tell you it went over well at our house.... it was gone in a matter of minutes! Of course Kieran had to dip it in his ever-present Caesar
dipping sauce but he liked it and how often can you say your 8 year old boy loves swiss chard? lol
 
So yeah, please do try this out.. it's so easy and healthy and TASTY!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment